17.2.14

dear little sisters

Dear little sister (both of you, whenever you read this.)

You're precious.  I know right now one of you is incredibly weird and 12 - it will pass. And the other one of you is still able to wear a tutu with every outfit and dance around the house naked. Again, that will pass...at least the last part. 

Either way though, whenever you read this, you're beautiful and precious, and you're a daughter of the King.

I want you to know that as you get older and grow wiser (like me...I'm pretty dang ripe at the age of 18...*wink*)...you're going to go through some stuff.

You're going to lose friendships.

And with that, you'll probably gain a few.

Hopefully, your first kiss isn't as dreadful as mine, and you hold your heart close. And if you're questioning how to do that, call me, because I can at least tell you what not to do. Step one: boys have cooties.

Don't rely on youth group or church to be your happiness. I was thinking just today of how fun those days were - wondering who would be there this week, what I would wear to church, which one of the boys I would pick on...but there were times when my church life became more important than my Jesus time and that is a serious issue. 

Focus your heart on him and not just his house.

Don't yell at mom when she goes through your stuff. She's gonna do it. And she's probably gonna call me to talk about it, and then I'm gonna come over and do it. 

But guess what. When I call you someday to talk about my daughter's stuff...you can return the favor? Deal?

Don't let your heart get too caught up in figuring out what you wanna do with your life. It's okay. You have time. 

Daddy is a lot sweeter now than he was when I was 12, so be nice to him. He likes you most of the time, but he loves you all the time, and while he may make you clean the kitchen when mom and I are at worship practice, it's really for your own good. 

Just remember not to glare and mumble while doing the dishes at night. He can see your reflection, and after that, you get to mop all 1800 square feet of the living area. Yay you!

On that note though, he'll buy you sushi a few times a year. If you play your cards right, he might give you some cash for jeans or a new top. Pick appropriately and ask me first. Technology is here for a reason, ladies.

When your best friend gets mad at you, don't get mad back. Chances are one of you is valid, and the other one needs to cool down or realize they're wrong.

Pray it's not you, but if it is, that you will have clarity.

You're never too old for disney movies. Ever.

Laugh a lot. Don't stop reading. Do your school.

Work hard for what you want. Daddy may buy you sushi and jeans here and there, but life doesn't work like that. You have to work hard to make it. Don't forget that. 

Chances are, though, when you start to work hard to buy your own $100 jeans and take yourself out to sushi, mom is going to miss you.

A lot.

Stay up a little later sometimes to talk with her. You're both tired, but she's a special woman and you don't even know the half of it. 

I haven't even made it to the 1/5th mark.

Before posting on facebook about that annoying friend or the boy you're heartbroken over, call me. I don't care if it's 1am, facebook land doesn't care and I will be awarded a medal in heaven someday for saving all those souls from your stupid teenage posts. 

But seriously. Call me. Then facebook. It works better.

Listen to country music during summer. It makes life better, trust me.

Don't flaunt your body. Cover up and learn to look cute without skin. It's an art and if you learn it, I won't have to buy you a personalized paper bag. 

Netflix binging is only a good form of procrastination while mom is your teacher. When you get to college and you have deadlines, you will learn. 

Enjoy the time you have with netflix now.

Don't text and drive.

Don't drink.

Don't cuss. Too often. Only when people cut you off.

The duck face is off limits for selfies. Period. 

Youth trips are not a guarantee for making your life better or your walk with God stronger. That takes work and effort and desire. Find it.

Learn to bake and do it well. It will help you out a lot in life. Parties you don't want to be at and meetings you wish you could avoid will all be made better if you're a mini Nancy Drew. Trust me.

Don't think you need to tear people down to be better. You are you and there is no one who can do it better. The goal is to be you striving to be like Jesus.

I probably will write another one of these someday. But for now, I'll leave you with this...

If you still can't say period by the time you're a sophomore, we need to talk.

I love you two. Oodles and poodles of love. 



No comments:

Post a Comment