29.7.12

Grandma Ruth: 17 years ago today.

Today is the 17th anniversary since my grandma Ruth's death. 

She died exactly 7 weeks before I was born. 

My entire family is on a camping trip right now with my dad's side of the family. His dad, two brothers, sister in law, and all of their kids. 

As I sit and think about all of the different things my family has been through, I can't help but chuckle a little and say "Lord, you're funny."

My dad and his brothers are all so different, yet they all are obviously related. 

My dad's oldest brother relies heavily on others and their opinions of him. He's rough sensitive all at once. 

My daddy is the toughest of them all, and I don't say that just because he's my dad. He's sincere, honest, and doesn't let anyone play him. 

My dad and uncle's youngest brother is a hoot though. Emotional and sensitive, wants to be socially acceptable and is demanding of others. 

But all three of them love their mom. Or, loved, rather. My grandma didn't die of something very common, it was sudden and no one knew until two days later. 

I have always wondered about my grandma, but even more so in the past few years.

I've always been told by my entire family that I'm like her, from the looks to facial expressions , her love of fishing, her attitude. I love hearing these things. 

My family, I've decided, wouldn't be the same if she hadn't passed away so soon, I think. I wouldn't have been named after her either. I don't think my parents would have embraced the "family" as much either. It made a lot of the members of my family realize how short life is, and to cherish it. 

It's special to all be together today. We've never gotten to do this before. No one's talked much about it yet, but I suspect around the campfire tonight, some shores will be shared. 

Grandma, I never got to meet you, but, if you were here, I hope you'd be proud of your boys...for putting up with each other, and with grandpa. I can imagine if you were here with us, you'd be laughing, and fishing. You and I would probably be harassing my daddy, and maybe playing cards. I wish you were here, but since you're not, I'm thankful for what you left behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment