22.7.12

that time I bought vintage baby clothes

Hey, guys.

So, you probably have noticed that I'm pretty strange, right? I'm not exactly "normal" by any means...

My town is an old railroad town. It's dinky and totally western, I kid you not. But. When the railroad was being built, quite a few wealthy men built gorgeous houses. These houses exchanged owners many times, but as time went on, the houses became run down. 

Well. Anyway, these beautiful houses sit on the river and the main street down town. Mom and I were out yesterday garage "saling" it up, when we drove by these houses and saw that they were having a sale. A "make me an offer I don't even really care about the money" kind of sale. We stopped, of course. There were boxes and boxes of things. The man in charge told me everything is for sale. Don't matter what, make him an offer and he'll probably sell it. Well, naturally I was like a kid in a candy store..digging through boxes, dusting off things to reveal their face. It seemed that most of this stuff was just left in the house, and most of it hadn't been used too much. I'm talking vintage galore. Record players, a dozen televisions, recliners...a gorgeous green leather couch, bed frames, wallpaper on the floor and walls. The kitchen was amazing - soooo wonderful. And the paint, you guys? Beautiful. The doors were awesome too. See?
 In the front room, though, there was an old crib, with a few baby clothes peeking out. I went over, excited, because they were stain-free and beautiful. I picked out ten pieces (because I honestly have no need for them right now....not even graduated, for petes sake!) and my mom bought one of the dressers in one of the bedrooms. The guy only wanted a dollar for the clothes! I ended up giving him 5 because he didn't have enough change, and he was sitting in the hot sun....yucky. We left to go to another estate sale, but while we were digging through that one, I couldn't get the door I saw off my mind. It was so pretty, and would make an awesome headboard, I thought....so when we got home, I kept thinking about it...a friend and I on Instagram were going on and on about it. Daddy was busy, but when my Papa got here at four, I asked him if he'd go down with me to see if they'd sell me the door. My Papa, being the amazing guy he is, was all for it and we left...

Turns out, that they can't just let 16 year old girls take doors from historical landmarks that are most likely to be torn down...go figure. My Papa got talking to the owner of the houses, or rather, the owner's daughter, who was his age, and they talked about town back in the 60s...while they were talking, I went back into that front room and couldn't help myself. I went through more baby clothes. Oh, you guys. They were all so beautiful. Virtually stain free and hardly worn. Definitely from the 50s or 60s. 

So this is where you get to grin, or not, and tell me I'm crazy...

I bought an entire garbage bag full of them. I know, I know...I'm too young, gonna jinx my chances of even having kids...yada yada yada...but....oh my word. they were beautiful. I'll probably end up selling some of them - I have a feeling some mama's will be stoked on life about them.

And you wanna take a crazy guess at how much I paid for all 76 pieces? Just guess. 

Twenty-five dollars. I spent twenty-five dollars on almost an entire closet's worth of vintage baby clothing. And there were more I could have put into my bag. But I refrained, because I knew my mother would just look at me like "You're insane..." and I really have no idea where I'm going to store them. Anyway, here are a few of my favorite pieces...what do y'all think?


the last dress is my favorite for sure! so cute! 




2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I must come find your adorable town and raid this garage sale you speak of! SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some incredible pieces here!!!

    http://hipbabyclothes.org

    ReplyDelete