13.9.11

a girl named Taylor

I have a story for you. A very impacting story.

May 28, 2011

Taylor was lying on the hard desert ground. her entire body had gone numb; but a pain still penetrated her flesh. Looking up to the sky, she cried "God, God, Where are you?" a sure and steady answer came back to her; "I got you." is what she heard from her Father. She knew something was drastically wrong; she knew her earthly body had be damaged, severely damaged. But those three words continued to be whispered into her heart; I got you. I got you.

I was at a memorial day bbq with my youth group. My youth pastor was not himself, I could tell that much. I knew something was wrong. then I heard her name. and another girls name, saying "Is she okay? Is Taylor okay?" the response on the other end was something along the lines of "We think she has a few broken ribs." I knew right then and there that something was terribly wrong. He got off the phone and saw me staring at him, as I asked him what happened. "Taylor's been in an accident. she's at the hospital." Broken ribs, ha, no. no. there is something else going on here, I thought to myself, panicking. I was the only one who knew. the only one in the group of kids who knew what had happened. I couldn't tell anyone yet, no. I had to hold it in until I really knew something was wrong. Really wrong. then I could lose it. Right? Right.

We got another call; Jesse's face went pale as the words made their way through the air to his ear: "She's paralyzed from the waist down. They don't know if it's just shock or not, or temporary." He looked at me, knowing we're so close. he told me to pray, not to say a word, and just pray. I did.

The day went on with laughter and food. We were all playing a game called signs, maybe you've heard of it, maybe you haven't. It was getting crazy, shouts were going off everywhere and giggles were being emitted from the mouths of the girls. It was snowing outside, yes, snowing. We were all sitting on Mary Beth's floor playing this game. an hour and a half had passed, at least. I was still holding it inside, praying silently.

Jesse walks in. He asks us to put the game on hold. I think he was letting us have some fun before he had to break the news. "Taylor has been in an accident." he said. "She is paralyzed from the waist down right now, her back is broken, and she's in a lot of pain. I don't want to ruin your day, but this is serious. I want to stop and pray, for her, for her family, for the doctors." I spoke up now. "Can we do a popcorn prayer?" Jess looked at me and said "Sure. you can go ahead and start us off. I'll finish."

And so the prayers began, and tears began to fall. I prayed. The next person prayed. And the next. I don't know how long we were sitting there, but it seemed like forever. Tissues were passed around by the leaders. We ended our prayer time on a solemn note; remembering that God has a purpose for all of this.

Another one of Taylor's closest friends, Kelsi, was there. I'd known Kelsi since preschool, and we'd both known Taylor for forever as well. I looked up at her and the instant we made eye contact, we both knew no one else in our group would be able to understand the pain we had. We grew closer in that instant.

Kelsi and I went upstairs to call people and let them know what had happened; we went through a list of numbers, and then her mom called. "I'm coming to get you. We're going down to Reno." Kelsi replied with one word. "Okay." She got off the phone and asked if I wanted to go. I instantly called my parents and told them the situation; my dad told me to go. Call him when we got there.

An hour later after waiting in the hot, stuffy waiting room for what felt like forever, I stood by her bedside, trying to hold it together. I looked at her and grasped her hand. A silent tear rolled down her cheek and she grinned, saying "ow..that hurts too..." Lifelong friends we were, the kind that can be separated for years at a time and pick back up right where they left off in an instant. I had never seen my sister like this. I had never seen her so helpless. Kelsi came in to; we were at first only allowed to see her one at a time but they let us all in to pray. We prayed for our dear sister, and had to leave. But the thing I heard being whispered into my heart was "I've got her. I've got her." And I knew it would be okay, even if she never walked again.

__________________________________________________

You're probably wondering why I told you that story.

One, for prayer for Taylor and her amazing family, to stay strong and grounded throughout the years of trials that are sure to come, with or without healing.

Two, to hopefully inspire you. Taylor is stronger than ever; more beautiful than ever, and more radiant than ever. She's in a wheelchair; can't feel below her bellybutton, and is still happy and joyful, and that hasn't changed but for an hour once or twice since her accident. People always ask me, "How is Taylor doing with this all?" My response generally consists of a few things; she has her Father with her, and He has His plan, she still is alive, and has full use of her upper body, that is a lot to be thankful for, and she draws attention to herself just by going somewhere; everyone notices her wheelchair and she gets to show the love of God just by how she acts in public.

And three, to maybe let you know that it could be a lot worse. Every few months I get into a rut of thinking about what I don't have or can't do. I'm so selfish! I have full use of every. single. thing. in my body. Why would I complain about stupid things?

That is the story of Taylor; and honestly? I love it. I am so proud and blessed to call her a dear friend.

1 comment:

  1. Such a touching post. Prayers with her and all of you, always. <3

    ReplyDelete