17.3.12

goodbyes.


saying goodbye is hard.

no matter how many times you say it, or how long you have to dwell and get used to it, it's still hard.

yesterday afternoon, my 88 year old great grandfather went home to jesus after a (thankfully) short battle with lung cancer.

I've never had to deal with death before.

not like this.

I mean, sure, people have died, and I've been to a few funerals in my time but nothing really prepares one for losing a family member.

last week we got a call from my aunt chelle saying that grandpa would be lucky to make it to monday.

he passed around 5:30 last night.

my mom and I got in the car around five, despite the fact that it was storming over the summit and chain controls were in effect.


this is my great grandfather, Arthur Johnson.

a handsome man, he was.

incredibly smart.

brave; he was a WWII war hero.

he married my grandmother and therefore gave me existence.


he has done some incredible things in his time.

he was a teacher, father, husband, uncle, grandfather, brother, cousin, great grandfather, friend, mentor, prayer warrior, etc.

grandpa, I'm going to miss you.

a whole heck of a lot.

but I know you're hanging out with jesus right now.

and that makes me oh so very happy.

6 comments:

  1. This made me tear up a bit. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Ruthanne. You and your fam are in our prayers! Love you *hugs*
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine the pain you are going through.
    Stick to what you love. Love your family. It gives you strenght in this hard times.

    Visiting from the blog hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs, Ruthanne! This is so sweet! <3 Praying for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss! Sending warm wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condolences to you and your family.. *hugs*

    Visiting from Blog Hop
    Witha @ http://withapinkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete