20.3.12

my grandfather's journey; retraced.


This is a video my cousin (Kendall ↑) made about a trip he, his brother, their father (my great uncle) and my great grandfather took this past summer, retracing my grandfather's war journey. It's about 14 minutes long, but so worth it, if you have the time.

this is how my cousin describes the video on his page:

"On October 7, 1944, Arthur R. Johnson and the crew of the 'Liberty Belle' were shot down on a bombing mission over Vienna, Austria. Parachuting out over modern-day Croatia, Art and his crew, with the aid of the local Partisans, spent the next 49 days hiking towards the coast in hope of returning to their base in Italy. 67 years later, I boarded a plane with my brother, father, and 88 year old grandfather Art to retrace their heroic journey."


I encourage you to watch it, it's an incredible story.

xoxo,
ruthanne

1 comment:

  1. k this is soo cool! thank goodness that we can have pictures and film for memories! xo

    ReplyDelete