8.6.12

a few words about things.

good evening. I promise, I am still alive. I've started a post about 5 or 6 times and each time don't know what to do. I have been pondering a lot of things about/since my trip.


I made it home from Alaska safely, and the flight was, oddly, nice. 

I sat with my cousin Naomi, and we talked and talked and talked. About just life. I can honestly say I've never known her better. It feels good to say that I know my family. And it's odd, that I haven't gotten to know some of them until now.

Now, I will tell you more about my trip. It was an odd one, this is for sure. 

You've probably figured out by now I'm not "normal" as far as 16 year olds go.

I don't fit with just anyone, and while I can make it work, and have fun, it's hard to find someone I really, truly connect with. I can honestly say I have about four people like that in my life. And one of them is my mother. Seriously.

Going to Alaska to see family, I knew I was in for somewhat of a culture shock....they're different than I, and I them. We don't share the same morals or values, faith or beliefs, the only thing we truly share is blood. and I knew this. but I was not prepared for what was coming.

entitlement. selfishness. glory seeking. these were all things that were sought during our trip. and all I could do was sit back and try not to place too harsh a judgement on them, knowing that we all possess these qualities at some point or another. 

I was thankful that they didn't really know me as well as most people, so that they weren't taken by surprise when I just kind of shrunk back and didn't say much, interact too much, or comment much. I just was kind of there. which, if you know me, that's not me. I'm never quiet. I don't just sit. 

The Lord taught me a lot though, about myself and humanity.

I'm not perfect; so I shouldn't pretend to be. I do, however, have a higher standard to live by; the standards of Christ and what He has called me to.

When I left Seward, Alaska on Tuesday morning, I was thankful for the time there, and glad to be going home. There's not much else to say, except that it's really quite interesting how God teaches you sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment