26.4.12

the best chocolate cupcake & cream cheese frosting


this is by far my favorite recipe ever - it's sooooo yummy, and soooo easy. ready?

what you'll need:
1 box of chocolate cake mix - I prefer devils food, but regular is okay too.
2 large eggs
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt, plain
1 box of chocolate pudding (the small one - not the huuuuuge box, ya know?)
buttermilk for thinning (less than 1/2 c.)

frosting:
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1 package of cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla extract
about 3-5 cups powdered sugar, depending on how thick/sweet you like it

for the cake:
preheat oven to 350 degrees.

line your muffin tins with liners and spray with a nostick cooking spray.

in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, eggs, water, and sour cream/greek yogurt. mix well for one minute. add the pudding and beat well - batter will become very elastic like - now add buttermilk to thin out the batter a bit. you want to retain the elasticity and somewhat thickness of it, but it needs to be pour-able.

using an ice cream scoop, fill each liner with batter and place in oven. Bake for 17-25 minutes, depending on your altitude. (I'm at 7000 feet...so, it will be different than what I do if you're lower than me...which you probably are..)

after the cupcakes are done baking, let cool completely. otherwise when you frost them....it's no bueno.

now, for the frosting.

beat the butter and cream cheese together for about 2-3 minutes until well combined. add vanilla. slowly add the powdered sugar in increments, until you like the consistency.

I always frost my cupcakes with a piping bag, using a regular round tip for a nice swirl effect.

frost your cupcakes and enjoy! I've never had a complaint about these suckers, and they are definitely my favorite too!

2 comments:

  1. What a great looking cupcake!!! I love chocolate cupcakes, and this looks like a great recipe! (Plus very pretty with the pink frosting!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy and I love cream cheese frosting! I would love for you to share this with my "Unveil Your Genius" link party (new party every Thursday).
    http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/04/unveil-your-genius-link-party-8.html

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete