27.12.11

with a heavy heart.


We found out on Christmas eve my great grandfather has lung cancer. 

They drained the fluids in his lungs - two liters - and he went home. The doctors said it was probably his last Christmas. 

Yesterday evening they went back again - this time there was 2.5 liters of fluid. 

My heart is heavy. This is the only great grandfather I've ever gotten to know - he's the grandfather my mother grew up with. The one who has always been in my life. He's a WWII war hero. He's a father, a grandfather, great grandfather, uncle, cousin, friend. 

But I am faced with this reality: when he passes, he's not going someplace terrible. He's not going to be in more pain. He's going home. 

Home to his Maker. His lover. His friend. He's going home to his king. 

We went down to visit him yesterday - and it was so lovely to see him. I wanted to share some pictures of our visit with you. 


We didn't spend long there, as he was tired, and in need of rest. But it was lovely all the same. 

He was in the airforce in WWII - his plane was shot down after a bombing raid and went missing to the US forces. They marked him as MIA. He spent the next 7 weeks making a journey that now takes only 6 hours by train - all on foot. This fall my uncle Jim and his two sons retraced his entire journey. The whole story is HERE. I encourage you to read it - it's an incredible story.

Anyway. My aunt Carolyn had a book made of the journey - and I asked him to show it to me. His eyes lit up and my grandfather was back while he told me for the millionth time of his war journey. I am amazed every time I hear it though. That's my grandpa. 

My grandmother spent those seven weeks in agony. They weren't married yet. They were only sweethearts. When my grandmother received the telegram from my grandpa that he was "on my way home, darling", my grandmother describes that moment to be just indescribable. I can't even imagine.

My grandma still has the telegram. 

In short, this post is written with a heavy heart. A sad heart, but a glad heart. I am praising God for the time I've spent with my grandpa, and the things he's done in his time. I know his passing will be soon, and I've already decided I'm singing this at his funeral. 


I know some of you may think I'm dooming myself by already planning something like this for something so sad. But I beg to differ. He knows he's dying. The whole family does. And we all want him to just go home. His pain will be gone there and his joy will be forever. 

6 comments:

  1. This post made me cry, Ruthanne! What a wonderful Grandfather that you've had and such a great story! I'll be praying for him & your family. sending lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear your great grandpa isn't doing well. I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. Cherish the moments you have left and the memories you have made. Beautiful blog, I look forward to more posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, dear.
    Such a special time it looks like you had with him.
    I lost my last grandparent when I was in early college. It was sad, and hard. So glad you know where he is going, what a blessing!
    You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you sweet :) We just lost my great grandma, who i was super close with- such hard stuff, but so exciting to realize we've got more than enough time with them up in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad day. Sending happy and hopeful thoughts your way. Knowing it's going to happen doesn't make it any easier... we lost my Granny in August a year ago at 90 years old. But you're right, he's going home and he'll be better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiring post, it made me shed a tear. I too had to go through the pain of losing a family member, my Nan in fact. I loved her very much and stil can't believe she is gone </3

    ReplyDelete