2.2.12

guest post: mckenzie jean of basil

Helllllllo loves! Guess where I am today? Seattle! Trying to figure out which danged starbucks to go into and which one to leave alone. Problematic, I know. Anyway! I have a few fun ladies guest posting for me while I'm gone, and guess who get's to start y'all off? Miss Mckenzie of Basil :) She is the epitome of awesome - so please read on :) Hugs to you all!

--------------------------------

Would you believe me if I told you I considered (and actually typed it out) starting this post with:
What's up all my homiesssss!

Don't worry, I hit backspace quicker than you can say "homies." 


I'm Mckenzie Jean, from over at Basil.




Over at my little blog, I write about a few things. I (attempt) to blog about fashion, with simple pictures of what I wear day to day, but mainly I post stories. 
I love sharing stories, and I have quite a bit to share. 
I love sharing silly, awkward, strange, or ironic stories that happen in my day to day life. 

Unfortunately I have a billion awkward things happen to me, I never seem to be on short supply. 
I can tell you're on the edge of your seat with anticipation to hear one....so, I'll share one of my favorites. 

This is a story I have shared once on my own blog, several months ago, so chances that you've heard it are slim to none. 

But here I am, story recycling. 


Let me start it out with saying this, before I met my husband (we're high school sweethearts) I didn't date much. I just wasn't interested. I like to think I had a good head on my shoulders, and didn't see the point in dating that young. I mean really, what are the chances you'll end up marrying the person you're with in middle school, or even high school (I know, I know....me thinking this clearly meant it had to happen to me)? I just didn't want the drama of an insecure young relationship, I just wanted to have fun with my friends, and hold off on that part of my life. 

But, I did date some. 
And I'm definitely going by the definition of "date" according to my high school dictionary. 
You know, you meet someone, text them and giggle a bit, maybe meet up at the mall or skate park (thats definitely how I rolled.)
And then fast forward two weeks, and this here girl is bored out of her mind and moves one. 

Well...I had a certain experience during one of those "flings."
The kind of thing that will make high school you think that your life is forever over. 
The one that makes you immediately think of other schools you can transfer to because you're just that embarrassed. 

Me at my jr. prom. hovering over the cheese table.
 
So, Let me start from the beginning.
i met this boy.
At the skate park. 
(you thought I was kidding about that, DIDN'T YOU!)

Anyways, in typical high school fashion, I'm with a girlfriend, scopin' out the fresh meat
(I did NOT just say that.)
and we're on our way out, and all the suddne.....It happens. 

"Hey. Hey!"

We whip around with our hearts racing a million miles an hour..this was our moment to shine. 
All the emo poses we practiced for myspace photos were finally paying off...boys. 


one of them motions towards me and says:
"my friend thinks you're cute. Do you think he's cute?"

We were being stared at by a group of 8+ boys, and to be honest, I didn't even look to who he was pointing at.
High school me didn't care, I just blurted out 

"yes!"


They respond ever so suavely....."cool."

My friend and I ask them if they want to meet up at the mall later that night. 
They say yes.
Score.

So me and said boy (I finally found out which one he was via my AIM account....we swap myspace links. How did high schooler's date before myspace?! So vital.) start texting, chatting on AIM and on the phone for a couple of weeks. Being extra cautious to keep our coolness in tact. Playin' it smooth the whole way.

But then that moment came along. 
The moment mentioned earlier.


I grew up in Chicago, many-a-days were spent in Millenium park.

Its hard to reopen the wounds, but I'll do it.
I sacrifice so much for you guys.
That's how much I care about you all. 

Schools out for the day, I walk to my car, throw my purse, phone, and books in and then hop in to drive home.
As soon as I turn my car on, the next song on my mix CD comes on....I'll be, by Edwin McCain. 
If you're not familiar with it, stop right here.
Search it on youtube, and listen to it. 
Then resume reading. It will make this so much better for you.
And while its better for you, it will be a million times worse for me.

Now, this song moved me. It made me tear up each time. and I knew every single word.
I'm one of those car singers, the kind that belts it out with no shame. 
So I'm jamming out to good ol' Ed and having the time of my life driving home.
I lived close to my high school, the ride being only long enough for 1 song...its okay. Edwin was all I needed. 

I pull into the driveway right as the song ends. 
turn off my car.
pick up my books, purse.....and phone.
Which had pocket dialed someone.
SOMEONE.
THAT someone!
My phone picked and dialed the WORST possible person for that moment in time. 
And, the call was still going on. 
All 6+ minutes of it. 

I just serenaded this boy at the top of my lungs to Edwin McCain.  And he stayed on the phone, and listened to the whole thing. 
WHOLE. THING.
it was not pretty, either.

We never spoke again. 
I think it was for the best. 
Talk about awkward when we saw each other in the hallways.


At the drive-in
Feel free to stop by my blog and share your story.
I have a tab at the top made just for that.
Don't worry, you don't have to humiliate yourself with one from your awkward past 
(we all have it) 
I love sharing engagement, wedding, heartfelt stories as well. 
Feel free to e-mail me one at Mckenzie.Lund (at) gmail.com and I'll use yours as a guest post one day with a link back to your blog.

-----------
Thanks Mckenzie! :) And I am so sorry for those of you who couldn't access the post earlier! I messed up with something on my phone last night....silly me! ANYWAY! Go on over to miss Mckenzie's adorable blog and say hello! :)

Have a fabulous day, friends!


3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just because I'm looking at it on my phone, but the post isn't showing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I could picture it. I've never heard you sing McKenzie ... but if its anything like me when I'm belting it in the car, yes, that 'relationship' was better left unpursued. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word. McKenzie this is probably one of the best stories ever. But really.

    ReplyDelete