18.1.12

to read the hunger games..or not to read...

So, as you've probably pick up on by now....I absolutely haaaaaaate doing what is normal, average, hip, popular, etc, etc. I don't want to be like everyone else. Period. 

Which is why, loves, that I have resisted reading the hunger games...

I know, you gasp, you scorn me...I know..I know...but, you wanna know one of the main reasons?

I don't want to get sucked into loving it and barfing all over you about it like every other blog you read....no bueno...

But, then again, I've heard they're "fabulous" and "amazing" and yada yada yada....so, what to do, what to do? 

I'm thinking I should probably read them....just get it over with. And if I don't like them then fine, whatever, I'll move on, and can say I at least read them....right...? 

Right....

Plus...the movies look fantastic....and I really don't want to watch them without knowing the real story...

But I'm still torn....

If you've read them - what was your honest opinion of them? Did you thoroughly enjoy them? Were they worth the time? Did they have any positive or negative messages within the pages, that some may not instantly pick up on? Let me know please! I'd love to read them if they are worth my time - I don't have much time to read in general these days, so I don't want to wast that time on something I may not like! 
xoxo,
Ruthanne

10 comments:

  1. ahhh, that's the exact reason I chose not to read them even though I'm a book worm! And the same reason I still haven't read the twilight books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so my husband read the series a year ago and i was like "ya whatever". One day I was bored and picked it up and never put it down, they really are worth the read......TRUST ME! It's not just a love story like twilight, my husband would never have read it if it was....lol
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been asking myself the exact same thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay. so i read them right when they came out, before all the hype and whatnot. I'm the same way, where i don't want to join every fad and try to steer clear of that sort of thing, BUT, Hunger Games is most definitely worth your time. These books are SO well-written, its crazy. I don't know if character development is important to you in a book, but these characters are so well hashed-out that i honestly harbor a passionate hatred for a few of the main characters (the protagonists, mind you). Just because they're so real, and have their issues and flaws and choose to deal with some and not with others. dahh. good books :) I hardly ever buy books, but i bought all three of these- I would strongly suggest you read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really into reading distopia books. The hunger game series is one of the best I've read. I read the hunger games LONG before the hype began, and long before the movie was even in process. They are worth it if you want an easy read. They aren't any 1984, life changing type of book, but well worth the read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read them RIGHT NOW. Before you can be corrupted by the movies. Because while I am hyperventilating with excitement over the films, books will always be first in my heart. It's too bad you didn't read them a few years ago when I did--then you wouldn't have had to worry about not being hip because no one was reading them then!

    Oh and one more thing: the Hunger Games are too good to try to "keep your cool" over...if it were anything else, I'd say go ahead and protect your street cred, but the Hunger Games are SO amazing (they changed my life back in '09) that it's worth being one of the many.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read them yet either. My sister just finished the second one and says they're really good. Hoping to start reading them myself as soon as I finished the book I'm reading now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey ruthanne!!! I just started reading the first of the trilogy today (22 Jan) and I am already three quarters through! I'm loving it so much and have found it really hard to put down (I know I should go to sleep). Its really great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey ruthanne!!! I just started reading the first of the trilogy today (22 Jan) and I am already three quarters through! I'm loving it so much and have found it really hard to put down (I know I should go to sleep). Its really great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey ruthanne!!! I just started reading the first of the trilogy today (22 Jan) and I am already three quarters through! I'm loving it so much and have found it really hard to put down (I know I should go to sleep). Its really great!

    ReplyDelete