16.1.12

worship & wonder.

I led worship last night for our evening service at church. 

Two of the songs we sang were How Great is Our God - by  Chris Tomlin, and Wonderful Maker, also by Chris Tomlin. 

These songs...and the lyrics....I can't get over them. They send chills up my spine - they remind me of how wonderful and great our God is!

Our God was the only thing in a vast expanse of nothingness - no life, no sound, no existence but him. And all he did - all  he had to do was say "let there be light", and there was light. God didn't have to do some insane list of things to make this happen; He just said four words; four little words; and there it was. 

Before we sang Wonderful Maker - I asked the congregation to close their eyes, and picture nothing - no noise, no light, no darkness - and I asked them to breathe - that's what God did to create them. I asked them to imagine saying let there be light - because that's what God did - and to try and grasp onto how truly amazing God is. 

I guarantee none of those people, including myself, came close to even touching comprehensiveness of such a thing. None of them. Because that is how great God is! There is no way for us  to ever imagine Him fully. He is the Lion and the Lamb - the beginning and the end, that alpha and omega. 

About 6 weeks ago I wrote a worship song centered around this - I'm hoping to share it with the congregation soon and then maybe even you all - but I wanted to share this first; because as I left that stage last night, and I reflected on the people who had raised their hands in adoration; closed their eyes in awe; I knew it was not me who did any of that. It was not me who inspired any of that - it was God. Because He gave me the gift of singing; the ability to play piano, and the perseverance to get better at leading His people into the throne room. It's not me. 

It's Him.

And when people tell me that I did a wonderful job; that I have great talent; that I am so gifted; if I ever cling to those words and believe that it is "I" and not  the great "I am" who has those things, I fall - in some way. And it is never good. It is never fun. And it always humbles me. 

You see - He could take my "talent", "gifts", and "ability" away in an instant. He didn't put me on this earth to be glorified - He put me on this earth to glorify.

I love these verses in Matthew chapter 6, 1-4:
"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven."Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
 I always remind myself of that. Because I can do nothing great that will last without Christ.

Nothing at all; all attempts at greatness will be futile; vapid; worthless.

Thank you, Lord; for loving me even when I make those attempts; when I try to be the great one. Thank you, Lord; for not only forgiving me, but still allowing me to glorify You after it all.

You are my wonderful Maker - and I am, indeed, in awe of you.

1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful post.. I love that verse.. I heard the greatest statement on a video that sent those same chills up my spine..

    Steven curtis chapman said on a video i sent recently

    Theres nothing you can do to make god love you more at the same time theres nothing you can do to make him love you less.. I love that..

    ReplyDelete